Tuesday, December 6, 2011

LA Stories- The Flood

The entire city of LA is flooded today, and I am no exception. However, unlike the torrents of piss, needles and bottle shards frothing merrily along Hollywood Boulevard, I am flooded with love.
I guess a blue moon accompanied these rains, because for the first time in what feels like a year, I slept trough the entire night without jerking awake with my heart racing.

I have a friend with a very calming influence crashing on our futon, and I guess the additional presence allowed my subconscious to relax a little with Jay being gone again. Paul's a good guy- the kind you feel safe around while the Outside Monsters lurk beyond the barred windows.
I slept the whole night through with Jack sleeping above my head and Johnny at my feet. Sure, they're syphoning my body heat, but I syphoned theirs right back in some sort of bizarre circuit of fur and dreams.
My friend had left early, but I slept until 11 (!!!) and got up and made a cup of tea. This simple act already meant that this morning ranked up amongst the best I've had in LA.

I then checked FaceBook, and got a really sweet message from another writer, complimenting my blogs. Matt Martins- an unbelievably prolific guy with a genuine gift. If I wrote a fraction of the amount Matt does... well. Anyway, I admire him tremendously, and sipping tea while having my ego stroked felt fantastic.

I also had messages from Erika and Bryan, who let me know that they missed me and were thinking about me. I always feel loved when I hear from my friends, but usually the sensation is accompanied by a pang of loss. I did not ache this time- probably because I know I'll see them soon.
It was then time to head to the post office. Ordinarily, this doesn't fill me with joy, but today, it filled my arms, my backseat, and my living room. With Joy: the sendable kind- if it fits, it ships, and apparently quite a lot fits.

Jay's Mom and Dad sent us box after box of goodies, and I happily hauled them to my car in the pouring rain. I think some of them have food inside! I also had a package from Jackie and Lizzie, which I was eagerly looking forward to opening when I got home.

After that, a friend I'd done a job for called to tell me he could pay me, so I drove to North Hollywood, where he was disassembling furniture. Since my cup was brimming with good karma, part of me wanted to go home and nap, but all the good vibes from the day had given me enough energy to not make a selfish choice. I helped with the furniture, then gave him a much-needed ride to run an errand. Then I took him out to lunch. Then I severely undercharged him for my portion of the paycheck. He deserves all this and more, because he's a wonderful friend and I'd been hoping for a chance to do something nice for him. As we chewed on chicken during a rainy lunch, it tasted really good. Because doing the right thing always does.

Eventually, Los Angeles traffic ferried me back to Hollywood, where I ran errands of my own and went to Target. I tried on clothes and everything fit. I liked the way my body looked in the yellowing lights of the gum-encrusted dressing rooms. I didn't buy anything I tried on, but being happy with my body for a change is still a novelty, and for a narcissistic moment I let it happen and didn't berate my thighs or my veins. I looked at myself in the mirror in observation instead of criticism. And it was nice.
Plus I found really cute socks.

I navigated the streets home and found a rock-star parking spot, naturally. And why shouldn't I? It's an awesome kind of day! Waiting for me on my doorstep was a box of Harry and David's gourmet snacks- another gift from Jay's parents, who have by now completely spoiled me rotten. They feel slightly guilty for flying Jay home for the week, and as a sort of hostage-negotiation, have sent me food. Consider me appeased. I ate a designer pear and some truffles and stretched out on the couch before making a second trip out to the car.
The rain had let up, but the Street Monsters weren't out yet, so I made it there and back without encountering a single crackhead. Success!
This trip meant I'd scored Jackie and Lizzie's package, which was a belated birthday gift. Inside the box, I found toys, bracelets, an obscene picture book, a card, FOOD (!!!) and several brightly colored tinsel balls on a string, tied to a stick. The card explained that this was meant for the cats, and not me.

I called Jackie to thank her and her sweet fiance, and played with Johnny Danger, who had instantly gone into a frenzy of ecstasy when he discovered the toy.

I chatted with her on her drive home, and then lazed on the couch while writing this.
The song goes, "it never rains in sunny California, but it pours, man, it pours."
Totally accurate- but today I was showered with the most wonderful of everything, and I am so grateful.

Today gets a 10 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment