Tuesday, January 12, 2010

LA Stories: Lunch for the Boss

While at my Culver City Internship, I was asked to go get lunch for the Big Boss. I'll call this boss "Steve."
Steve's assistant, "April," came to get me, and handed me $12.00. April said, "hey, would you mind going to pick up Steve's lunch? It's down the street at the Salad Depot, and it'll cost $11.90."
Looking at the cash I was given, I said, "Sure, no problem- do you think a ten-cent tip is OK for the to-go staff?"
April said, "Don't worry about it."
So I didn't.
When I got to the Salad Depot, I gave the to-go girl the $12.00, and told her "Sorry I wasn't given more for you."
She said "Don't worry about it."
So I didn't.
When I got back to Culver City, I gave Steve's lunch to April, and she took it in to Steve. About 3 minutes later, she comes out and says, "uh, Steve wants that ten cents back.."
Oops. Since I'd left it with the to-go girl, I started fishing around for a dime in my purse, but it became obvious I didn't have enough change.
April nervously waved me off, telling me "not to worry about it 'this time,'" that they'd "figure something out."
I explained to April that since I had previously worked as a to-go girl, I knew how much I appreciated the tips, and how much they meant to me since it usually involved me taking time away from my other Hostess duties at my busy restaurant.
The CFO of the company rounded the corner at that exact moment, and said, "Yeah, well, we don't tip those people." The CFO then got in his Cadillac Escalade and drove off.

No comments:

Post a Comment